Featured Post

Pinned Post, A Policy Note:

I have made a decision to keep this blog virus free from this point forward, at least until the smoke clears. This is not a judgement about ...

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Seeing the Network

I went to the San Diego Zoo yesterday, with my wife and kids. There's a moderate amount of milling around in lines, pushing kids around in strollers, and so on. Also, I make no pretense of being a street photographer.

What I did do was try to be aware of the mesh, the network of relationships the people. Just simple things that we all perceive, there's no magic here. This person is happy in this moment, that person is irritated with their spouse/lover/friend, that child is bored, those people are all looking at the panda. The difference was that I was trying to be conscious of it, to silently articulate what I saw, and to make some effort to photograph what I was articulating.

It's a tiny step removed from "that's interesting" or "that's visually arresting" but I think it's interestingly different.

Here's some pictures. I could make a bunch of excuses, but I won't. I will simply acknowledge that they're not very good, and that the reasons are many, not least among them that I'm not very good at this. Too damn many pictures from behind.








I will say that I was 1000x better at this yesterday that I have been in the past.

5 comments:

  1. Hmm, alas I think these are a case of significance from attendance, not much else of a reason to look. Ok, maybe the first one, just a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean by "significance from attendance"?

      Delete
    2. You kinda had to be there for these shots to matter... Otherwise, they have little significance simply as pictures. Significant only to you and/or others that were also there.... Like that.

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah ... right with you on the quest, am a regular reader, enjoy the thought provoking sharing. Good work and thanks for doing it. Hopefully feedback helps.

    ReplyDelete